DIY and Entry-Level 3D-Scanner Forum

www.diy3dscan.com
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 7:59 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:32 am 

Hi,
I am fairly new to scanning, even though I have played around with home built scanners for the last 3 or 4 years. I want to scan gun stocks and larger kayak sections for making accessories. What is the best all around scanner, without breaking the bank? I am looking at the carmine 1.08 and 1.09, and also the Kinect or other similar sensors. Which one is the best all around?

Thanks for the help.
Matt

Last edited by holtzclaw on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:01 pm 

I have only used the 1.08 and I don't recommend that Primesense product. Read through this forum and look at Bernhard's examples of the 1.09 w/glasses setup. If you think you can get enough geometric accuracy with that, then just try it. It's not expensive. I use the SLS1 from David more and I like the results, but you have to deal with calibration and the clunkiness of the scanning rig.
I am currently looking at photogrammetry as a low cost solution. 123D Catch from Autodesk may be an option (free), and Fuel3D also when it comes out.
Until now, you are stuck with what you can afford. But I feel like in the near future, there will be many improved options as more people develop new options. I wouldn't recommend spending alot of money on anything just yet, as the next year will offer more inexpensive solutions.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:15 pm 

Toffer,

Thanks for the quick reply, I think the 1.09 is maybe what I will try, I hope to get a few more opinions. I have also played with David Scanner (free version) and 123D Catch, I just need to be a little more patient.

Thanks,

Matt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:22 pm 
Site Admin

Hi!

I'd recommend David SLS. It is the most flexible affordable scanner in the market.

Best

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:34 pm 

I made my SL Scanner for the following investment:
$450 Software.
$30 Logitech pro9000 webcam
$200 Acer K11 projector.
Then with a little creative welding I made the rig to hold it all together.

I think you could use the trial software and save the $450 if you wanted to learn the process first. Take scans with the David free software and save them in low res (which is allowed). Then use Meshlab to fuse them(I haven't done this myself, but I heard you can). Then you have a low res 3d model. See how it compares to a carmine scan with scanect then decide if you want to invest in the David software or the carmine/scanect products. You can always sell the projector and webcam. Actually, you probably know somebody with a projector you can borrow like I did at first.
CHeck out the David Laserscanner website and forum, and you'll get a good idea of what SLS can do. It is a little more cumbersome than the carmine solution, but with better results in my experience.
BUT, again I'll say that the Primesense products or the photogrammetry (ie; fuel 3d) will probably soon offer cheaper and much improved scan quality.
Cheers!