DIY and Entry-Level 3D-Scanner Forum

www.diy3dscan.com
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 12:02 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:09 pm 
Site Admin

Hi! The credit goes to MagWeb for his idea. I built on it :)

I did no calibration with the Carmine 1.09 scanner and VirtuSpecs. I read the scanner has an internal calibration algorithm, but I cannot prof this.

Did you use the Carmine 1.09 scanner or a different one? I think the "old" scanners need some calibration. I could not test Carmine 1.09 with VirtuSpecs with ReMe, since I cannot make this software run on my Win8 machine :(

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:07 pm 

Hi guys,

bought a pair of 2.5 d reading glasses today.

Now while reading this thread i realize i need 3 separate glasses ?

Or is it possible to make it work with 2 glasses only ? I tried to cover 2 "sensors" with one glass and the third sensor with the other glass, but the scan was very bad.

ACtually, i put "sensor" in bracket above because i don't really know what is the purpose of each. What are the 3 openings for actually ? do they all need to be covered with a 2.5 glass ?

I'm a little confused now,

thanks for your guidance,

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:20 pm 
Site Admin

the left outer opening is the IR projector. The right outer opening is th IR sensor. In the middle is the colour camera.

You can try to put the glasses on the projector and the IR camera. Cover the vga camera with black tape. Of course, you won't get textures with this setup.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:30 pm 

i feel something is not quite right with the way i do this,

i covered the vga camera with black tape, and tapes the +2.5 d glasses in front of each other opening,

but the green scan does not come, there are just a couple of little colored specks coming in the top right window of skanect, as you can see in attached picture.

I tried removing the black tape, nothing changes. I tried removing the glass in front of the IR projector, then the green scan comes, but it's more difficult to scan than normal and the quality is not improved anyway.

Not sure what is going on, it looks so simple to do. Any idea ?

Attachment:
skanect.jpg
skanect.jpg [ 182.92 KiB | Viewed 4312 times ]

Attachments:
securedownload-35.jpeg
securedownload-35.jpeg [ 115.55 KiB | Viewed 4312 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

hmmmm ... could you try to tape the glasses on their left and right corner and not at the top and the bottom.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:09 pm 

i did that and also "rebooted" the camera with the glasses on, maybe that was the problem ?

anyway, i get a much better scan now, i just need to find the right distance to scan objects and faces.

Couple of questions if you allow me:

- in the green scan window in Skanect, sometimes we see some red color too. Is there any meaning to the red and green color. The red seems to appear more on the side of a face i think.
- is there any gain in precision to scan the same area of an object more than one time during a scan ? I explain: if i scan my face from right to left, going in half circle , is there any gain to come back with the scanner from left to right again ? Or i just need to scan once and slowly ? I can't help but thinking that the camera deducts the 3d shape using parallelism, so it would help to scan the same area more than once. But it does not use parallelism right ?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:43 pm 

@VirtuMake

What kind of system requirements do you advice,
for full body scanning with the Carmine 1.09

What kind of system would I need for multi Carmine?
I have seen some are using 16x

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
What kind of system would I need for multi Carmine?
I have seen some are using 16x

Please post a link to such a system, this could be interesting to a lot of people.

I run my Carmine 1.09 in a Lenovo U410 laptop. It is powerful enough to scan a whole person and the setup is mobile, so I can walk around with the scanner. Of course you could get yourself a USB extention cable and scan with a more powerful desktop computer.

I am just starting experiments with multiple scanner setups. I learned that each scanner must be connected to its own USB controller. At my notebook, two USB interfaces are controlled by one USB controller. The laptop had 4 USB interfaces, so I can just run two scanners parallel.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:44 pm 

I will try to find it again, maybe they use 2 servers.
I have seen so many sites.....

Where can I get the USB extention cable is compatible with Carmine 1.09 for windows.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:44 pm 

To extend your Carmine, you can use a standard USB 2 cable with the female & male connector at each end. I use one that is 6 feet (183 cm) long with no problems.

Victor

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next